Monday, May 9, 2011

Sand

Where better to go on a first-date re-do than the beach? It is my favorite place on the planet. A place that rejuvenates and relaxes my soul. 

I hadn't seen him in almost 2 years. We kept in contact, here and there, but he had changed in a way.  Since his brother had gotten married, he seemed to be doing some thinking, he was a bit lonely, like a single soul who has realized his desperate need to join to another lonely soul. Naturally, I was intrigued.

We strolled along the sand, neither of us knowing what to say. But what do you say after the last 5 years? What do you say to the man who has broken your heart a dozen times? Warm sand between our toes, I wondered where this day was going? The same as usual? We'd end up at his place, then see you in a few months the next morning? But it felt so different. Like he was changed, different, like we were going to be different.

As I was driving trough the sandy deserts back to my home in Las Vegas, I made a deal with myself. If he sent me a text message (the things 25 year old girls think of.), I'd do this, I'd go back to him, despite the heartache, despite the horrible first-date re-do where I paid for my own dinner.  I told my best friend, I prayed about it. I made myself a deal, to end this one way or another.


He never sent me that message.


That was 5 years ago this June.


This July, we'll be married for 4 years.


Funny how things work out, huh?




This was a post for the RemembeRED prompt: So this week, we want you to write about sand. Yes...sand. It doesn't have to be summer-related, but the impending summer and my proximity to Lake Michigan and it's glorious beaches are what inspired me to tell you to write about sand. So. SAND. GO.

10 comments:

  1. Love this! I have an old romance rekindled hubby myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Sorry, but I was that girl years ago, only I finally left his heartbreaking ways and found someone who did text back. Only then it was called "writing a letter".

    Dang if technology wouldn't have made dating SO much easier!

    But congrats on bringing him around. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unexpected ending! That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Very good, love the surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Funny how things work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was meant to be.

    I love that.

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I am new to your blog (came here through Red Dress), but it makes me want to know more of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for the kind comments! It really was (is) a hell of a love story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. brilliant, so often these stories end in the non text the failed romance, so nice to read about the love story that came true! stopping by from the rdc to say hi x

    ReplyDelete